This BBQ Blistered Okra was inspired by a recent visit to Tupelo Honey, a small restaurant chain, where I really enjoyed a grilled okra dish they had on the menu. It was smoky and mildly sweet. Delicious.
I love roasting okra or grilling it. It gets crispy on the small ends and edges and still soft on the inside. I decided to try this at home with a great easy seasoning. I mixed a couple of seasonings with a canola oil and sprinkled it over the okra before roasting. You can grill this too, in a grill pan.
It’s a great thing to serve as a side dish, so easy to make too. I love doing this any kind of chicken. I also love to dip mine in buttermilk ranch.
I know I’ve mentioned these parchment sheets before, I am in love with them. They are pre-cut sheets that roll right off a roll and fit directly in my sheet pan. Check them out here:
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (smoke paprika is key)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 12-16 oz okra, stems trimmed, and cut in half
- Mix together the smoked paprika, kosher salt, maple syrup and canola oil in a small bowl. On a parchment lined baking sheet toss the okra with the oil mixture and spread it evenly so that the okra is in a single layer.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and place an oven rack on the bottom 1/3 of the oven.
- Cook the okra in the oven for 20 minutes. Then place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes on the top 1/3 of the oven to gets things nice and crispy.
- Serve plain or with ranch dressing for dipping.