Cauliflower Fried Rice with Shrimp is the perfect low carb, mid week dinner. It not only tastes delicious, it cooks up in one pan and involves mostly freezer and pantry ingredients. This means you can reach for it when you don’t know what else to make.
I use frozen cauliflower rice for this, you can certainly use fresh. I wanted to make this something that you can pull straight out of the freezer and whip up. Frozen cauliflower rice is the way to go if you want good quality cauliflower rice without going through the trouble of making your own. Check out this previous post I did with instructions on making your own cauliflower rice using a fresh head of cauliflower. As well as a taste test between fresh, frozen, and prepackaged cauliflower rices. (Hint fresh homemade is best, but frozen is a very close and easy second.)
You do not have to use shrimp for this, I just love shrimp and their speed in cooking up, but you can absolutely use ground pork or chicken as well. I use frozen wild shrimp and I prefer the smaller count 50-60 size over the larger ones for this recipe. I love buying frozen shrimp as a time saver. My number one tip in buying frozen shrimp is to always make sure to buy good quality UNCOOKED & WILD caught shrimp. Look at the packaging, it will tell you if it’s wild or farm raised. Using the frozen shrimp makes this recipe a breeze to put together. The shrimp I buy is already peeled and without a tail, but not cooked. If you can’t find shrimp peeled and uncooked go for the uncooked and then peel it yourself. It’s really easy and doesn’t take much time at all to do this. Just defrost the shrimp according to the package directions.
To save EVEN more time I cheat and use a frozen pea and carrot mix from the freezer aisle. It’s already chopped and ready to go into my pan. See I told you Cauliflower Fried Rice with Shrimp is a freezer/pantry meal!
And if you don’t know my ginger trick, I’ll spill it for you again. When you buy fresh ginger from the store, wash and dry it and then seal it in a plastic bag and keep it in the freezer. The ginger will keep forever. Who on Earth could use a whole ginger root in one meal? And it grates with a microplane like butter when frozen. You don’t need to peel it. Consider your mind blown. 🙂
I’ve made it super easy to keep the ingredients on hand for Cauliflower Fried Rice with Shrimp so you have something great to make mid week when you just don’t have the energy for anything else. I got you! I understand, I’m a busy mom too. And not to mention it only takes one pan to make this delicious meal for your family. Whoever cleans the dishes in your house just got a break too.
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger (I grate mine frozen)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 C frozen peas and carrot vegetable mix
- 24 oz frozen cauliflower rice (or six cups fresh cauliflower rice)
- 1 lb peeled, frozen wild uncooked shrimp 50-60 count size
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- In a large non stick skillet over medium heat add in your sesame oil and let it get nice and hot.
- Add in the minced garlic and 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger. Sauté just until fragrant, 30 seconds or so.
- Put the diced onion in the pan along with the peas and carrots. Cook for five minutes or until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the pan and continue to sauté for five more minutes.
- Push all the ingredients in the pan to one side and then pour in the lightly beaten eggs. Move them around the pan like you would to make scrambled eggs. Once cooked incorporate the eggs into the rice mixture.
- Add in the defrosted shrimp. Mix it all together in the pan and cook until the shrimp is pink and cooked through. About five more minutes. If you need to a lid can help speed up the cooking time, but is not necessary.
- Add in the soy sauce and mix well. Pull off the heat and serve warm.