Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas are a dinner favorite in my household. I love them for a meatless quick weeknight meal. I also love that my kiddos devour them as well. It’s easy to make adjustments based on tastes too. I have one kid who won’t eat mushrooms, so I can leave them out of his quesadilla pretty easily. My husband prefers more heat, so I can toss in fresh chopped jalapeño to his batch.
I’ve done these with traditional flour tortillas as well as grain free tortillas. My favorite grain free brand is by far Siete. They have five kinds of grain free tortillas. I’ve only been able to try the ones made with almond flour and another made with coconut and cassava flours. Both are delicious, but the almond flour ones are by far my absolute favorite. I prefer them now to traditional flour tortillas for their amazing taste. We don’t eat a grain free diet, and are not gluten free in any way, I just love the flavor of their tortillas.
If you do use grain free tortillas, the cooking time on the Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas will be a little bit shorter than with traditional flour tortillas. Just keep that in mind. But the flavors meld beautifully and the almond flour tortillas brown up beautifully in a little olive oil.
You can easily use this recipe to make just one Spinach and Mushroom Quesadilla, two or four. The ingredients are easy to halve or quarter.
I love to use good Queso Quesadilla melting cheese that is found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store with other Mexican cheeses. Avoid Queso Fresco or Queso Blanco as these are the more crumbly less melty Mexican cheeses. Monterey Jack works great in these quesadillas too.
- 1 sweet yellow onion, cut into strips
- 20 baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 8 C fresh spinach (or 8 large handfuls)
- 8 large tortillas of choice (flour, grain free, etc)
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 12 TBSP good melting cheese, like quesadilla cheese or Monterey Jack.
- In a large fry pan over medium heat add in 4 tbsp olive oil.
- Put in the onion and mushrooms and cook until softened about five minutes.
- Add in the spinach. Saute until the spinach is wilted about two - four minutes more.
- Remove the spinach, onion and mushroom to a plate and set aside.
- Place pan back on stovetop, and add in 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Put one tortilla down, top with a large helping of the spinach mushroom onion mix, spreading evenly over the tortilla. Then sprinkle 3 tbsp cheese over the top and place the second tortilla on top. Smoosh the top of the tortilla down with a large spatula.
- Cook for two minutes or until the bottom tortilla is browned to your liking. Then flip the quesadilla over and cook an additional minute. Pull off the heat and put onto a cutting board. Cut into fourths.
- Repeat steps 6-8 with remaining three quesadillas.
- **You can keep the quesadillas warm in an preheated oven set to 200 degrees. Just remove the tortillas to a sheet pan set in the oven and continue cooking additional quesadillas. Cut all quesadillas when finished.
Try these Recipes to complete your Mexican Meal: