This post contains affiliated links.
This Simple Arugula Salad is one of the easiest and most elegant side dishes to serve with any number of main course dishes. It pairs well with just about everything from beef, to fish, chicken, and soup. It’s deceptively simple with no complicated dressings to mix up. Just toss it all in a bowl with your hands and serve it up on plates. Sometimes I even add thin slices of avocado. It’s wonderful.
If you find yourself not being a huge fan of arugula, I suggest you try it in this salad before writing it off completely. The tart lemon juice cuts down on the peppery bite of the arugula making a match made in heaven.
I love to serve my salads with these beautiful olivewood serving spoons a friend gifted me. You can find a similar pair here: http://theanchoredkitchen.com/olivewoodservers
- 5 oz washed arugula leaves
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cracks black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 C finely grated fresh parmesan cheese (additional shavings for garnish optional)
- Add arugula, shallot, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the salad with the lemon juice being careful not to get any seeds into the bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the salad.
- Mix the whole thing up with your hands. Once everything is evenly distributed add to plates or put into a serving bowl.
- Using a vegetable peeler, create thin ribbons of parmesan cheese to top the salad.