This post contains affiliated links.
Buttermilk Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread is so light and fluffy with a subtle hint of heat from pickled jalapeños. This is a super simple recipe, all the ingredients are mixed into one bowl then poured into an 8×8 inch square baking pan. The end result is a very slightly sweet, yet savory cornbread that isn’t dense. I love snacking on this cold as well as with warm soup and chili. It’s a great side dish.
Growing up we sometimes went to Kenny Rogers Roasters for dinner. I know I know, I can’t not think of a certain Seinfeld episode either whenever I say the name. Anyway I don’t remember much about going there besides it was easy for my Mom, but what I loved about going there was their cornbread. They made it with kernels of corn in the bread and I always LOVED it. I knew when I was developing this recipe years ago I wanted mine to also have kernels of corn, and it does. It also has sharp cheddar cheese melted throughout and pickled jalapeños for some kick. Use good quality fine ground cornmeal when making this. It’s a great time to support a local mill near your area. I also love Bob’s Red Mill Fine Ground Cornmeal. You can find it at your grocery store or in through this Amazon link: http://amzn.to/2ivueus
These make thick slices of cornbread because I use an 8×8 inch square baking pan. My favorite square baking pan is the KitchenAid Professional Series that you can find here: http://theanchoredkitchen.com/squarebakingpan You can also use a 10″ cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, I can’t recommend them enough. we inherited ours but Lodge makes a great skillet and you can get one at this link: http://amzn.to/2B74ZtY
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 c yellow stoneground cornmeal
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 C buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 C chopped pickled jalapeños
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cayenne.
- Add in the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, cheese, corn, and jalapeños. Stir until just combined.
- Pour into a greased 8x8 inch square baking pan or a 10" cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 35 minutes (slightly less time if you cook it in the 10" skillet) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.